Food Law

A.Y. 2020/2021
4
Max ECTS
32
Overall hours
SSD
IUS/03
Language
Italian
Learning objectives
The course aims to provide the basis for the acquisition of the fundamental Italian and European legislation relating to the agri-food sector with a broad examination of the repressive and preventive legislation, as well as the transposition of the main Directives into European Regulations and the most significant violations of criminal law.
Expected learning outcomes
At the end of the course, the student will have acquired the methodology for research into food law sources and will be able to use this methodology in the context of official food inspections, in drawing up the operational manuals for the HACCP system and in all systems to reduce the most serious and less serious non-compliance, both in the collective catering sector and in the food business companies.
Course syllabus and organization

Single session

Responsible
Lesson period
First semester
The student's achievement of the expected learning outcomes, in the emergency phase, is established by means of an oral exam to be taken in telematic mode through the platform Microsoft Teams.
The teaching method will consist, where possible, of approximately 30% of lectures while the remaining 70% will be performed through distance learning using the Microsoft Teams platform and the lessons can be followed both in sync, on the basis of the timetable of the first semester, both asynchronously as they are recorded and left available to students on the same platform.
The program and the reference material will remain unchanged.
Course syllabus
The teaching programme covers the following topics:
Sources of food legislation, the right to food, from the Constitution to European legislation and the Codex Alimentarius.
Food quality assessment: from a repressive regulatory system to a preventive system. The evolution of the concept of food legislation from a mere sanctioning instrument to a tool for aiding operators in the sector in order to pursue the quality and healthiness of food and protect consumers. Self-assessment and the "hygiene package".
Food control systems. The HACCP system and its principles, ISO standards, mandatory controls and supervision by official bodies with extensive consideration of inspections in the food sector and issue of prescriptions.
Food offenses provided for by the criminal code. Specific cases.
Prerequisites for admission
No prior knowledge required
Teaching methods
Lectures
Teaching Resources
Andrea Vitale. Manuale di legislazione alimentare, 5th Edition, published by Franco Angeli Editore.
Assessment methods and Criteria
The student's achievement of the expected learning outcomes is established by means of a written test with open answers lasting one hour and thirty minutes.
Knowledge of the main and fundamental Italian and EU regulations regarding the agri-food sector will be evaluated, as well as the methodological capacity of research of the same for their practical application.
To take the exam it is necessary to register within the deadline set on the SIFA (http://www.unimi.it/).
Marks are expressed out of 30.
Marks shall be communicated to each individual student by automated email from the university recording system.
IUS/03 - AGRI - FOOD LAW - University credits: 4
Lessons: 32 hours
Professor: Vitale Andrea
Educational website(s)
Professor(s)