The history of the Faculty of Law
The Faculty of Law is located in the heart of the city, a few steps away from the Duomo and the Court of Law, in the historic monumental building of Ca' Granda, the ancient Hospital erected in 1456 upon the initiative of Francesco Sforza and his wife Bianca Maria Visconti to celebrate the conquest of the Duchy of Milan.
The Faculty's origins trace back to the Palatine Schools, where Cesare Beccaria used to teach and which partly merged into the University of Milan at the time of its foundation in 1924.
Almost one hundred years after its establishment, the Faculty of Law still plays a prominent role, both nationally and internationally, due to the high prestige of its teachers. The Faculty counted among its professors some of the great masters of law, including Angelo Sraffa (commercial law), Oreste Ranelletti (administrative law), Giovanni Pacchioni (civil law), Emilio Betti (institutions of Roman law), Enrico Besta (history of Italian law), Santi Romano (constitutional law), and later Roberto Ago (international law), Francesco Carnelutti (civil procedural law ), Giacomo Delitala and Pietro Nuvolone (criminal law), Cesare Grassetti (civil law), Enrico Tullio Liebman (civil procedural law), Cesare Magni (ecclesiastical law), Giandomenico Pisapia (criminal procedure), Giovanni Pugliese (institutions of Roman law), Mario Rotondi (private law), Uberto Scarpelli (philosophy of law) and Renato Treves (philosophy of law and sociology of law).