Direct recruitment of ERC project winners
The University of Milan invests in research excellence, both by developing and supporting internal talent and by launching talent acquisition initiatives nationally and internationally.
We have implemented strategies aimed at:
- supporting our ERC project winners;
- attracting ERC winners who wish to use grant portability to transfer their project to our University;
- strengthening support services in project planning and grant management.
We invest financial and human resources to promote the direct recruitment of ERC-winning Principal Investigators.
The direct recruitment of associate and full professors pursuant to law 240 of 2010 is an important innovation in talent selection. We have embraced a European approach based on international, transparent research excellence standards.
Since 2012, the University of Milan has recruited directly:
- five associate professors among ERC Starting and Consolidator winners who did not have this contractual status yet;
- thirteen associate and full professors among ERC winners hosted by other Italian and foreign institutions who moved to our University under grant portability.
We are currently negotiating the possibility of recruiting directly other professors among ERC winners in Italy and abroad.
We support ERC winners through several initiatives:
- The University funds the Transition Grant Project (“Unimi per ERC Starting, Consolidator e Synergy”) for internal ERC candidates who passed the final interview in Brussels, but did not obtain funding. So far, we have awarded 80,000 euros to each of the six eligible ERC Starting and Consolidator candidates. The call for applications will be open until 2020.
- ERC Principal Investigators can also rely on ongoing support facilities for ERC project management (planning, preparing for the interview in Brussels, grant management and portability, submission of new proposals). We are committed to constantly expanding and strengthening skills, resources, tools and services available to the scientific community, with a view to promoting research excellence also through the excellence of administrative services.
- In order to give visibility to ERC Principal Investigators, the University has started a pilot project involving the creation of a personalized video in English for internal ERC winners. The project was launched on the occasion of the 10th anniversary celebrations of the European Research Council in March 2017 and in line with dissemination activities for the CHANGEs project funded by the Lombardy Region and the Cariplo Foundation.