Certificates and self-certification
Certificates may be submitted to private institutions only, given that public institutions and public service providers may, by law, accept only self-certifications and cannot request or accept certificates.
Certificates requiring a revenue stamp
To have legal value all certificates, except those listed below, must be issued with a revenue stamp.
Certificates not requiring a revenue stamp
The following certificates do not require a revenue stamp:
- the diploma supplement, in Italian or English;
- certificates for study grants;
- statements of account certifying the sums paid to the University for the purpose of tax declarations or inspections;
- certificates required by no profit or social utility organizations (ONLUS).
Certificates attesting to enrolment, enrolment with exams, degree, degree with exams may also be requested in English; in many cases, the Diploma Supplement - issued free of charge - can substitute these certificates.
To apply for an online stamped certificate:
- Fill out the application form without affixing any revenue stamp;
- Pay a 16 euro application fee + 16 euro for each certificate requested through the Payment management service (which you can also access from Unimia) > Office services fees > Stamp duty;
- Submit copies of the completed application form and payment receipts through InformaStudenti. If you log in as an external user (as opposed to @studenti.unimi.it), also attach a copy of your ID.
You will receive a reply on Informastudenti with the certificate attached in pdf format.
To apply for an online stamp-free certificate:
- Fill out the application form;
- Submit a copy of the application form throug InformaStudenti. If you log in as an external user (as opposed to @studenti.unimi.it), also attach a copy of your ID.
You will receive a reply on InformaStudenti with the certificate attached in pdf format.
To obtain certificates from the registrar's office you must:
complete the request form for certificates attesting to enrolment on bachelor's and master's degree programmes, individual courses, or for postgraduate certificates (specializations, PhDs, Vocational Master's, etc.) to which you must apply a 16 euro revenue stamp;
submit the request to the registrar's front office in person (by appointment) or authorize a third person bearing his/her own identity document, a proxy form on plain paper and a front and back copy of your identity document), attaching an extra 16,00 euro revenue stamp for each requested certificate.
The certificate is normally issued directly on receipt of the request; certificates in English are issued within 5 work days of the request.
Those who are unable to go to the registrar in person may send the request to the following address:
Università degli Studi di Milano,
Via Festa del Perdono 7, 20122 Milano
Divisione Segreterie Studenti (where possible, indicate the appropriate registrar office or the degree programme)
For forms requiring a revenue stamp, attach one stamp for each requested certificate, as well as a front and back copy of your identity document.
The certificates can be picked up from your registrar's office about three weeks after having sent the request.
If you wish to receive your certificates by post you must:
pay a delivery fee (10 euros for Italy, 15 euros for international deliveries) in one of the following ways:
Intesa San Paolo Bank payment form
postal order on c/c 453274 held by Università degli Studi di Milano, via Festa del Perdono 7 – 20122 Milano
Credit card or MAV, using your University credentials to access UNIMIA.
complete the request forms (see above)
place a revenue stamp on the form
attach one revenue stamp for each requested certificate (except for those exempt from stamp duty)
send the request with a copy of the receipt of payment of the delivery fee to Università degli Studi di Milano, Via Festa del Perdono 7, 20122 Milan – Divisione Segreterie Studenti (where possible, indicate the appropriate registrar or the degree programme).
attach a front and back copy of your identity document.
The certificate will be sent by registered mail; the University declines any responsibility for the failed delivery of documents.
The University of Milan issues the following self-certificates to its students and graduates:
- enrolment/degree and exams;
- enrolment/degree and years of enrolment;
- enrolment /degree and fees paid;
- enrolment /degree and study plan.
You can pay print them out directly at home by accessing your UNIMIA personal page – Sifa online services – Registrar – Self-certifications.
You may otherwise access the InformaStudenti Service to request e-mail delivery (attaching a front and back copy of your identity document).
Students or graduates of other universities who must deliver a self-certification to our University, can use - if they do not hold a self-certification issued by their university of origin - the following forms:
- Declaration in lieu of generic certification
- Declaration in lieu of certified enrolment, awarding of qualification, exams
- Self-drafted affidavit (status, personal qualities and facts, even those relating to other individuals, of which the interested party has direct knowledge, without prejudice to the exceptions set out by law, and which are not covered by the declaration in lieu of certification).