Biotechnology for the Bioeconomy
In this context, the BforB Master degree aims at providing students with advanced molecular and cellular background of microbial and plant systems, which are the basis for the several sectors of the biotechnologies applied to the bioeconomy. The BforB Master degree will equip students with a solid and broad expertise about the structure and function of biological macromolecules of interest for the bioeconomy sector. In addition, the BforB Master degree will provide theoretical and practical instruments for the set-up, analyses and improvement of biotechnological processes for the transformation of renewable raw materials in biotechnological processes exploiting microorganisms, plants and enzymes.
The BforB Master degree will be taught entirely in English, providing the students with knowledge and competences that can be spent at European and extra European level, to which the bioeconomy sector is faced. Moreover, the English language will allow the participation of students from out of Italy, making the Master degree a stimulant international learning environment.
The function will primarily be the development, implementation and coordination of laboratory activity within basic and applied research projects, the set-up of bioprocesses, the quality control.
More in detail, the BforB graduate is an expert in planning, development, analyses and control of processes for:
- industrial fermentation for production of metabolites and renewable energy;
- plant and microbial cell as biofactories for molecules of interest in the fine chemical and polymer industry, agro-food and pharmaceutical industry with particular application to the green chemistry and bio-based industry;
- bioremediation of contaminated land and waters, using plants and/or microorganisms;
- innovative diagnosis tools, applied in particular to the traceability in agro-food chain.
The employment opportunities for the BforB graduate are in research bodies (both public and private) and bio-based chemical, pharmaceutical, agro-food, and biotechnological enterprises.
Students with an Italian University degree: The BforB Master degree can be accessed by graduates of Laurea Triennale belonging to the L-2 class (Biotecnologia) and previous class 1 (Biotecnologia). It can also be accessed by any student with a Laurea Triennale providing a strong background (at least 60 University credits, CFU) in biotechnology-related subjects, i.e., subjects identified as "core disciplines" for the L-2 class of Laurea Triennale (SSD AGR/01-02-03-04-07-11-12-13-15-16-17-18-19-20; BIO/01-02-03-04-05-06-07-09-10-11-12-13-14-15-16-17-18-19; CHIM/01-02-03-04-05-06-08-09-10-11-12; ING-IND/25-26; IUS/01-02-04-14; MED/02-03-04-05-07-09-13-15-42; M-FIL/02-03; SECS-P/06-07; VET/01-02-03-04-05-06-07-08-10).
Students with a degree from a non-Italian institution: the candidates must possess a Bachelor's degree from an accredited college or University comprising exams in the following areas: molecular biology, genetics, microbiology, plant cell biology, biochemistry, chemistry.
All students must have a good knowledge of spoken and written English as a mandatory prerequisite to enrolment, certified by one of the following:
· Bachelor degree obtained in an international English bachelor course (provide a certification at application for admission);
· B2 level certification (vantage or upper intermediate, as defined by the Common European Framework of reference for Languages: Learning, Teaching, Assessment; recognised certifications: https://www.unimi.it/sites/default/files/2019-05/certificazioni-lingua-…);
· A B2 result in the placement test given by the University of Milan on September 22, 2020. Students that will not provide a valid certification at the admission application will be contacted by the course secretariat on September 18, 2020 to sustain the English placement test. Who will not attend the test will not have any other possibility to obtain the English certification by the University of Milan and will mandatorily need to obtain a certification from an external accredited institution within December 2020, 31st.
- Eligibility assessment.
The personal curriculum of the applicants and the certifications will be evaluated by an Admission Committee composed of the coordinator and at least two lecturers of the Master degree. No interview is foreseen. The applicants will receive communication of their eligibility and will be allowed to enrol in the Master degree program.
- Practical instructions
Applicants considered eligible by the Admission Committee can enrol in the BforB Master degree under the terms and conditions indicated at http://www.unimi.it.
Students who have applied for admission to BforB prior to the conclusion of their bachelor degree (Laurea Triennale) and/or did not present a valid certificate for the knowledge of the English language (B2 level) or did not pass the Placement Test, if possessing the other admission requirements, will be granted the possibility to attend the first term classes. In this case students must present to Segreteria Studenti the bachelor degree and/or the English certification up to December 31st 2020 to receive formal admission to the course. Only after admission students are allowed to enrol and only after enrolment they are allowed to give exams.
Calls for participation can be found at the following link: https://www.unimi.it/en/international/study-abroad/studying-abroad-eras….
The time spent abroad can be used to attend courses and pass the relative exams, thus collecting credits towards the Master degree, as well as to carry out the experimental project for the dissertation. The student admitted to the mobility program must submit a study plan detailing the training activities that he/she plans to carry out, with the corresponding credits. The number of credits should correspond as much as possible to the number of credits that the student should acquire in a similar span of time at the home University. The proposed activities must be consistent with the goals and the contents of the Master degree. The study plan must be approved by the BforB Student Mobility Committee, which can request changes or integrations. At the end of the mobility program, according to the guidelines provided by the University of Milan, the courses (with a passed exam) and laboratory trainings attended by the student are registered in his/her career, with its original name and with an indication of the ECTS (European Credit Transfer and Accumulation System) and their conversion in CFU (usually 1 ECTS= 1 CFU). The students willing to carry out their dissertation work as part of a mobility program abroad must have an internal supervisor (chosen among the BforB lecturers) and the study plan must be approved by the BforB board.
For carrying out any experimental activity abroad, a letter of acceptance from the hosting supervisor is required. If the experimental activities are intended to be part or all the dissertation work (thesis), a similar letter should be drawn up by the internal supervisor. These letters must be sent to the ERASMUS Coordinator before the departure to the foreign destination. As a general rule, if the period of stay at the foreign laboratory is less than seven months long, the student should complete the thesis work at the laboratory of the internal supervisor, or other laboratory indicated by the supervisor himself, in order to complete the training process.
- Didactic Secretariat of the Faculty of Agricultural and Food Sciences
via Celoria 2 - Milano Città Studi
Opening hours: monday to friday from 10 a.m. to 12 a.m.
- Students administrative office
via Celoria 18 - Milano Città Studi
- Head of study programme
Le tasse universitarie per gli studenti iscritti ai corsi di laurea, di laurea magistrale e di laurea magistrale a ciclo unico sono composte da due rate con modalità di calcolo e tempi di pagamento diversi:
- la prima rata è uguale per tutti
- la seconda rata, detta contributo onnicomprensivo, è di importo variabile in base al tipo di corso, al reddito familiare (leggi come ottenere l'attestazione ISEE) al merito e allo stato della carriera. Per conoscere l’importo della seconda rata è disponibile il simulatore online.
Per i corsi on line è prevista una rata suppletiva.
- agevolazioni per gli studenti con elevati requisiti di merito
- importi diversificati in base al paese per gli studenti internazionali con reddito e patrimonio all'estero
- agevolazioni per gli studenti internazionali con status di rifugiato politico
Maggiori informazioni alla pagina: Tasse anno corrente
L’Ateneo fornisce inoltre una serie di agevolazioni economiche a favore dei propri studenti con requisiti particolari (merito, condizioni economiche o personali, studenti internazionali) come:
Info su ammissioni e immatricolazioni